Home Page Facilities Reservations Getting Here



Mid Clare

Ruan Church

Not far from Dromore Lake stand the remains of a 15th century church.
The votive chapel and tomb were built by Dermot O'Kerine of Owan.

Dysert O'Dea

(O'Dea's hermitage)
This ancient monastic site has the remains of a Romanesque church and round tower, (12th century). The foundation is credited to St. Tola (d. 737). The White Cross of Tola is a impressive high cross with an imposing episcopal figure on the east face, surmounted by a crucifixion.
An important battle was fought on this very site in which Muircheartach O'Brien defeated Richard de Clare of Bunratty and halted the Anglo- Norman take-over of Clare. The de Clares subsequently lost Bunratty and its surrounding territory(1318).

Quin Franciscan friary

Now a substantial ruin, was founded by Sioda Cam MacNamara and built between 1433 and 1450. It integrates parts of a castle built by Thomas de Clare of Bunratty and destroyed by Irish forces in 1286. The monastic buildings are grouped round an attractive cloister and there is a tall, elegant tower. The friars were expelled in Elizabethan Times and attempted to return after the Queen's death, but to no avail.
They remained in the area until the beginning of the 19th century.

Filoe Church

To the North of Sixmilebridge are the remains of Filoe Church, dated from the 11th century, which has Romanesque carvings.

Clare Abbey

1.5 km north of Clarecastle, are the ruins of a priory of Canons Regular of St. Augustine, founded in 1189 by King Donal Mor O'Brien. The abbey was occupied until about 1650.

Killone Abbey

(Cill Eoin - St. John's Church)
The remains of an Augustinian nunnery dedicated to St. John, founded by Donal Mor O'Brien, King of Limerick 1180. The holy well of St. John nearby was a place of pilgrimage. The buildings are in a picturesque setting on the banks of Killone lake. Killone Abbey lies in the grounds of Newhall House, designed by Francis Bindon (1690- 1765) for Charles Mc Donnell, M.P. for Clare in the 18th century.

Ennis Abbey

Founded by the O'Brien family in 1250 for the Franciscan Order, the abbey was restored in about 1300 by Turlough Mor O'Brien (who added the strikingly tall east window with its five slender lights and pointed top.) There is a good deal of interesting sculpture and its monuments are famous, especially the McMahon tomb, (15th century), with its carvings of the Passion.

West Clare


(church of the hermitage)
(22 km south-west of Ennis), is named after St. Murthaile, who had a hermitage there. The remains of a medieval parish church with dwelling tower can be seen.

Canon Island

There are a number of islands in the Fergus Estuary including Inis Gad, or Canon Island. It has a ruined, early 13th century priory (St. Mary's) of the Canons Regular of St. Augustine, founded by King Donal Mor 0'Brien of Limerick.
The remains comprise of a church, cloisters, kitchen and refectory, with dormitory overhead.


(Cill lomair - Church of St. lomar)
St. lomar was a contemporary of St. Senan of Scattery Island (6th century).
The village has a holy well and flagstone connected with the saint.

Scattery Island

(Inis Cathaigh)
2.5 km from the mainland, reached by taking a boat from Cappagh Pier.
St. Senan founded a monastery in the 6th century, which did not survive the Viking raids intacted (9th and 10th centuries). The remains include several churches dating from the 9th to the 15th centuries and a well preserved round tower. The island was recaptured by Brian Boru after a century of Viking occupation.


Nearby, in Moneen church the Little Ark, a moveable wooden shelter is preserved. It was devised by Fr. Michael Mechan in 1852 so that mass could be taken on the foreshore between high and low water where severe property laws could not be enforced by the bigoted local landlord who strived to prevent Catholic practises in the area.

Kilballyowen Parish Church

Not far from the Bridges of Ross are the ruins of Kilballyowen parish church, and Doondillroe promontory fort.
The spectacular cliff scenery on the road to Kilkee includes a column of rock, known as Bishop's Island. On its summit are the ruins of an ancient oratory, which indicates that the column was part of the mainland at one time.


Info on Local Activities,
Walking, Watersports, Fishing, Golf and Cycling etc...

Regional Info

A quick tour of Clare
and South Galway, with maps and useful information...


A guide to some of the Local Attractions. Check out what there is to offer...


All sorts of Festivals, for every age and taste...


An area steeped in Heritage and Folklore. (A short guide)

Photo Gallery

A Gallery of Photos to wet your Appetite...


Maps and further info about getting here...


Links of interest both local and National...


Website Maintained by Western-Webs, Tuam, County Galway, Ireland 
Ask about our Portal Pages Project

Disclaimer : The information contained in this website is, to the best or our knowledge, true and accurate at the time of publication and is solely for informational purposes. All information on this site is intended to be accurate, complete and timely. Western Webs accepts no liability for any loss or damage howsoever arising as a result of use or reliance on these web pages, or on the information thereon, or in respect of information accessed via any links from the Web pages. Questions regarding content of this web site should be sent to sales@western-webs.com. No information on this site is intended to serve as legal advice.